53 new cancer cases detected in VI in 2024- NHI Medical Director



Dr Frazer revealed this during a cheque presentation ceremony of funds raised during the 2024 CIBC Caribbean Walk for the Cure campaign on March 27, 2025, at the bank’s Retail Banking Hall.
A total of $67,000 was raised, and $10,000 was presented to National Epidemiologist Ms Harmony Brewley-Massiah for data collection to ensure more comprehensive tracking and research into cancer trends within the VI.
The other $57,000 was presented to the BVI Cancer Society.
Colorectal, breast & prostate cancers most detected- Dr Frazer
The VI’s cancer registry and the associated research initiatives commenced this year. This is a collaborative effort between the National Health Insurance and the BVI Cancer Society.
Detailing the ceremony’s events on April 2, 2025, Dr Frazer- in a press release from the bank- said the research and analysis initiative has begun at NHI.
“We are trying to promote regular annual checkups. We had at least 53 new cases last year, and the three leading causes were colorectal cancer, breast cancer and prostate cancer,” he said.
Get tested early
Dr Frazer explained that while these three cancers, once diagnosed early, are treatable, persons present themselves at very late stages of the disease.
“So we want to promote screening and early detection,” he said.
Minister for Health and Social Development Hon Vincent O. Wheatley (R9) revealed earlier this year that 462 cases of cancer were recorded by NHI from 2016 to 2022, with an average of 14 deaths per year.


9 Responses to “53 new cancer cases detected in VI in 2024- NHI Medical Director”
I challenge policy makers at NHI and government to fix the wrong that they have done. #screening saves lives
I am not against research and data sharing, but I only hope that my name is not shared with anyone without my permission.