UPDATE: Another tourist dies after snorkeling at The Indians
Police are still withholding the name of the tourist, but stated in a press release that on Sunday February 3, 2013, a male U.S. visitor, 57 years, was also snorkeling near The Indians when he reportedly told his girlfriend that he was experiencing difficulties. "He was immediately taken out the water where he continued to deteriorate. He was brought to the Peebles Hospital by members of VISAR but attempts to resuscitate the male were unsuccessful."
The RVIPF also confirmed that on Saturday around 12:30 P.M. the Virgin Islands Search and Rescue (VISAR) responded to distress call from The Indians off Norman Island where 47-year-old Clifford Routh of North Carolina, who had been snorkeling, reportedly emerged from underwater unconscious.
He was transported to Peebles Hospital were personnel were successful in reviving him. However, at around 7:15 P.M. that afternoon, Routh went into cardiac arrest. Resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful, the release stated.
The deceased was among 13 other passengers on a charter that departed St. Thomas that day.
The Coroner’s Office was notified of both deaths and post mortems are to be scheduled, the RVIPF stated in the press release.
The name of the deceased in the second incident is being withheld at this point.
See previous story posted on February 3, 2013
Tourist in snorkeling incident at The Indians dies
A 47-year-old male tourist was pronounced dead at Peebles Hospital on February 2, 2013, several hours after he was reportedly taken there in an unconscious state.
Virgin Islands News Online was informed by one of its many sources around the Virgin Islands that the man passed away minutes after 11 P.M.
According to reports reaching this news site, the man was part of a group that had travelled from St. Thomas, USVI and were at The Indians off Norman Island when the man reportedly encountered difficulty in the water.
It was being speculated that the man had drowned but, according to a reliable source; doctors at Peebles Hospital reported no water was found in his lungs.
The tourist was reportedly taken to Peebles Hospital in an unconscious state and without a pulse; however, medical personnel were reportedly able to revive him before he passed away.